Thursday, July 25, 2013

Dad


When I was little, I was definitely a "Daddy's Girl." We did a lot together. On his day off, my dad would pick me up and we would go look at plant nurseries and eat at Luby's. I loved eating at Luby's and picking out a cup of cubed Jell-O and an Andes Mint at the check-out. In high school and when I was out of college, we would usually go to Tom Thumb together and I always enjoyed that. I could get whatever I wanted when I was with my Dad. I think that is why I always enjoy grocery shopping even today.

I am grateful for my Dad for many reasons, but one of the things I am most thankful for is how he always made me feel loved and worthy. Now that I am older, I can see the impact that both of my parents had on who I am today and how I exist in the world. I think that the way he loved me and treated me will help me raise my daughter in a similar way. He was never quick to anger, and rarely lost his temper with me. The loving kindness that he always showed me is something that you don't just witness, you feel.

My Dad is the guy I would have hand-picked if I had the opportunity to pick out a father for myself. I could not have asked for someone more loving, patient, and kind. I don't know how I got so lucky, but I did. I am also grateful that he and Ruby will get to spend time together and hope my Dad gets to teach her all the things she needs to know about plants and sport and other grand-fatherly things.

No comments:

Post a Comment