Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Doran


I met Doran at Hospice Austin in 2008. I was working as a PRN (meaning as-needed, so my hours were not consistent or guaranteed) and she was in charge of the bereavement program. As I was eager to begin my professional social work career and gain experience in the field of grief and loss, I sought out opportunities wherever I could. Doran was always so supportive and included me in many grief programs and groups at the agency. Those experiences have been some of the best that I have had in my work. She also helped me realize my dream of obtaining my clinical license, by allowing me to see clients in the department after-hours. I felt really lucky because this work was so rewarding and it affirmed to me that I was exactly where I wanted to be. This is what I wanted to do for so long and now I was getting to do it!

What I love about Doran is that she is always willing to help people and share what she knows with others. She really helped me be able to get my LCSW and then also get trained in EMDR like she did. In some ways, I feel like I am kind of following in her shadow. She is one of those people who does things, and does them well. She has inspired me to dream bigger and not let myself get in the way of what I want.

Doran was also there for me during a time that I really needed it. She helped me pack almost my entire downstairs, and brought food, when I was alone and we were moving. People that help you move are really good friends. Anyway, when it all fell apart and crushed my world for a spell, she really helped me through it. Knowing that there was someone there to help me, was such an uplifting thing for me. Since then, we have become closer and have shared with one another different struggles. She has been unwavering in her supportive presence, even when I know it may have been hard for her.

I am grateful to have Doran as a friend and someone that I look up to for all that she has accomplished as a social worker. I asked the Universe to be kind and generous to her last year, and I am happy to know that the Universe has responded.

No comments:

Post a Comment