Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sarah

Sarah is my little sister. She was born when I was just about to turn 8, so there is a bit of an age difference. Even though we fought a lot as children, I always tried to look out for her and wanted the best for her (actually, the same still applies). There were some rough phases. I will never forget her referring to the day I went off to college as "the best day of her life." I hope that is not still true.

But anyway, Sarah is now 22 years old and an emerging professional. She is also studying in the field of social work, and I think that it will suit her personality because she has a strong sense of justice and big heart. She is also one awesome Aunt to Ruby.

Sarah was there waiting in the hospital when Ruby was being delivered and was so excited to meet and hold that little bundle of joy. I thought about how sad it would have been if I didn't have any siblings to share that experience with. Ever since day 1, Sarah has been a huge help to me, even though she was in school and living almost an hour away. I am really thankful that Ruby has such a special Aunt who will spoil her and delight in her successes and growth. Sarah is also really good at a lot of things, especially photography. We are so lucky that she has made Ruby one of her special subjects! There is no way I would have been able to afford professional photography sessions to document her early life, but Sarah has helped capture some of her moments in ways that I will cherish forever.

Besides being creative, smart and generous, Sarah can be pretty funny. I think we have a shared sense of humor, probably one that many sisters have that is unique to them. I am thankful that I have a sister to laugh with, joke with, commiserate with, and spend holidays with. When she was born I was disappointed that it would take so long before she would be able to talk, and interact with me. It felt like it would never happen. But, somehow it did! Grateful for having a little sister I can now call a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment