Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Alex

Today I was thinking about Alex, who is one of my oldest friends. I haven't actually talked to her in months (I believe) but I know she is there. We do the phone tag thing and I completely understand. She has 3 little ones. How does she do it? I literally have no clue. So with each of our lives busied by things and people, we don't talk as much as we used to, but what I was thinking about today was just how much fun we have together whenever we do see one another. It's almost like a guarantee of a good time to be with her.

I haven know Alex since our days in elementary. I first remember her in my CCD classes and then in the 6th grade we become really good friends. We had such good times, many slumber parties, lots of cookie dough, schemes and dreams together. I am grateful for the memories I have hanging out in her cul-du-sac, singing songs with the sunroof open in her Volvo, skiing in Utah, listening to her play piano, eating Cadbury mini eggs, and just being carefree.

The thing about your oldest friends is that that they really know you. They know your family and they know what you need, even though you may not be anywhere near each other physically. In times of pain and loss, its those friends that you can rely on the most. Alex has been there for me in that way. Through the deaths of grandparents, heartbreak and struggles of new motherhood, she has been there. A couple of months ago, after dealing with a particularly stressful time and sickness in our home, I went to the mailbox and she had sent me a cookie. Yeah, she gets me!

I am excited to see where our friendship takes us as we enter our thirties.



No comments:

Post a Comment