Saturday, July 20, 2013

Elizabeth

I met Elizabeth during orientation for our Master's program at UT. I remember clearly sitting next to her at Scholtz' and hoping that we would be friends. We made it through our social work program and now have been working in Austin as social workers for five years. When I think about the friend that Elizabeth has been to me during this time, I feel really lucky. It seems like the older I get, the harder it is to find close friends, people who really get you and you can depend on no matter what.

Elizabeth has been there to celebrate the wonderful events in my life that have occurred in the last few years, but she was(is) always there to help me weather the storms. You never underestimate the value of a friend that will sit with you in the rain. She could be described as the type of person who would "give you the shirt off their back" but I like to think that she would give you the house she lives in, well, because she did that for me. Last year when we were trying to sell our house and were going to be displaced for a couple weeks, she not only offered for us to live at her house, she insisted upon it. And she asked for nothing in return.

I am grateful to have Elizabeth because Austin would not be the same without her. We've done a lot of together here and have enjoyed taking advantage of The Arts and listening to our favorite artist, Patty Griffin. We both really, really love Patty. I am grateful that she is a good sport. After taking her to a feminist bookstore for what sounded like a fun evening of musical chants, it quickly turned into one of those nights from hell that you feel like you cannot escape. When we finally managed to emerge, we had a pretty good laugh about it.

Today Ruby and I spent the afternoon with Elizabeth at her pool. It was a simple day, but one that was special because such friends are rare and like precious gems. I am thankful to call her "friend" because I don't have many like her around me any
more. Life and time and age has a way of dispersing good. close friends somehow. I hope that life will continue to be kind and keep us together for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment