Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mom

Last May when I was pregnant with Ruby, I remember Mother's Day Sunday.  I sat in the car before my yoga class reading letters to the editor that people had written about their moms. I was in tears. They were all so touching. This year, I decided I should write my own and submit it to The Dallas Morning News. I was surprised when it was actually published. It pretty much sums up a lot of reasons why I am grateful for my mom. And I will copy it here.

Basically my mom is one of the best. We are a lot alike. She taught me Scrabble at a young age, and I think she would proud that I can even beat her some these days (Well, maybe not. She is very competitive when it comes to Scrabble). My mom is someone who takes pleasure in the simple things life has to offer and I think that she has taught her children to do the same. I am grateful for that because I think that is why I think I lead a pretty happy life. My mom is easy to be with. A lot of people have Mother-issues, but i can't say that I do. I owe almost everything that I am to her and am grateful for the love and the letting-go that she has given me. Loving is easy, the letting go...not so much.


I got my strength from my mother

Agree
2
Disagree
2
Must read
2
35
0
0
3
This is my first Mother’s Day as a mom. Now that I have a child, I see my own mother with new eyes and a bottomless depth of gratitude.
As my own journey into motherhood begins, the values she exemplified to me as a child teach me lessons in this current season of life.
When my maternity leave ended and I struggled with returning to my job as a social worker, I thought of my mother.
Through her love of teaching, she showed me the importance of doing work that touches people and has meaning.
When feeling overwhelmed in the mornings, I think of my mother, who taught me the value of punctuality by having her children on time for school, and by never being late for work a day in her life.
During the sleepless nights when fatigue sets in and I don’t know how I will function, I think of my mother.
She and I made it through these same nights together, decades ago. Her patience and calm are now mine as I rock my baby to sleep.
Not a day goes by that I don’t think, “Mom, I don’t know how you did it, but thank you.”
Carly Bassett, Austin, @carly819

No comments:

Post a Comment