Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Job

I know this is technically not a person, but today I felt especially grateful for my job, which is made up of many people. After working in the hospice field for almost 5 years, I have had the pleasure to meet, care for, and support many people though some of the most difficult times in life. Always, always, I get more than I give.

Today a family member asked me, "So, this is what you do every day??"
"Sure do!" I said proudly.
Often I think family members forget, it's them who have the hardest job, not me.
But what I was thinking was more like, "Yes, this is what I get to do."
I won't lie, working in hospice is not like it is on those commercials. It is much more complex, intense, and challenging than I think one could ever imagine until you experience it. There are experiences that are not so fulfilling, there are situations that are met by challenge, bureaucracy, barriers to access, funding, insurance, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

But what I am grateful for mostly from my job is that it gives me a healthy dose of perspective on a daily basis. It makes me appreciate my body, my health, my family and the present moment...which I know can all change in one instance, or with one unfortunate diagnosis. I have worked hard to balance my work life and not internalize all of the tragedy and loss that does exist in this world. You learn quickly that concepts like "guarantees," and "fairness" should never be coupled with expectation in this life. 

The most gratifying moments that I have in my work are getting glimpses into the love that exists between people. I get to witness people share their feelings with their loved ones about how wonderful their lives have been, how they wished they could do it all over again, how important family has been. It is a constant reminder to me that, truly, in the end, our relationships are the only things that matter. And for those who don't have the good fortune of being surrounded by loving family and friends, that is where I feel I get to step in and be the loving kindness that person deserves in their final time on Earth. I get to do that.

When I look back on my experiences, there are names and faces that are imprinted in my mind and on my heart. There are individuals whose stories will never be written about in the news, whose struggles may only be known to a few, and whose journeys will always be shared by me. So, in this post, I hope to convey how thankful I am to know all the beautiful souls I have met and for those who give me purpose through my work with them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment