Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Peg

Peg is one of those people you cannot help but love. She is kind, funny, wise, present. She is so good at being present. I first met her in 2006 when we worked a grief camp together. I was still in graduate school and she was working as s social worker at Hospice Austin. I learned so much from her those few days we spent with the littlest grievers at camp. As soon as we met to discuss plans for the camp, I knew I wanted to be like Peg. I wanted to work here, be near her, learn from her.

A little over a year later, my wish came true! I was actually following in Peg's footsteps in many ways. I took over several different territories that Peg had worked over the next couple of years. Talk about BIG shoes to fill. Watching Peg interact with patients is really something special. There were times I felt sad for the patients that they had to lose her....not that I was bad or anything, but that I would really have hated to lose her if she were my social worker. Peg is one of those people who make you feel comfortable and understood. She is also a thoughtful advocate.

Peg is always supportive of me, especially when I am having a rough patch. She is aware of other people's suffering and shows that she cares. She sent me a very sweet email yesterday of encouragement when I was selected to take a surveyor out during their audit. I am thankful to work with her and call her friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment