Sunday, August 18, 2013

Angela

Today is the last day of my twenties, and I am spending it mostly in bed and on the couch. Everyone in my home is sick and it forced us to cancel our birthday plans for this weekend. I am thinking that I won't be better tomorrow, either. Oh how I hate to call in sick...and on a Monday...and on your birthday. Ugh!  As I have laid here all weekend hoping and trying to make myself think that I will be well on Monday, I realize that viruses do not operate on a work-week schedule. I will have to be out sick, but I am really grateful that I have such a supportive and understanding boss.

Angela has been my supervisor for almost 5 years and I feel so grateful to have her. She is understanding, fair, easy to approach, and just a really good person. She has helped me grow into a confident professional and has set a really good example of how a leader should treat her subordinates. To work in an environment where you feel respected and valued is something that I know is rare. I appreciate the fact that she works hard to make work-life the best it can be for us. Last week I was selected to take out one of the surveyors who came to audit our agency. Afterward, Angela gave me a thank-you card for doing a good job and said how much she appreciated me. I thought that was pretty cool--not every worker gets a thank-you card for just doing their job from their boss.

As a new mom working full-time, it was hard to know what to expect when I came back to work. There have been days (and weeks) that have been challenging, but I always feel like I can ask for help when I need it and that I can be my true self at the office. She has really made my transition back to work a positive one and without the support, I don't know how I would have done it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment